Friday 16 March 2007

Edits, and more edits

There are edits, and then there are more edits. I hadn't looked at this manuscript for a while, and when I received the offer for publication and suggested edits, I dove into it once more. I realized that I had skipped essential plot elements by merely stating that time has passed, yadda yadda, and the next thing happened, blah, blah. The classic telling, not showing. I cringe, wondering what my editor is thinking as she reads the last segment of my manuscript.

Now I'm looking at it, trying to increase the word count so it will go to print. I'm discovering a lot of places where I could easily add dialogue in order to move the plot forward, to illustrate how the protagonist is feeling.

Sometimes I tell myself I can't wait to see the back of this project, and then other times I fall in love with it all over again. I can't wait till they slap it between a couple of covers.

No comments: