Monday 7 May 2007

Cover Girl

As a writer, I like to surround myself with images and 'draw' from them in order to enrich my story. Sometimes, a photograph I take or an image I create can be the inspiration for a story.

I've been asked to give my input on the design of my book cover. I have a couple of ideas, and plan to send thumbnails to the artist very soon. It's nice to have a publisher that gives the writer a say in cover design. I hear it's not usually the case. Chances of obtaining a cover that truly reflects the story within can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Some authors get covers they don't expect, but from what I hear, most of them are happy with the results after they recover from their surprise.

By the way, I sent my final edits back yesterday. At least, I think they're final. I guess I now have to wait for a release date, or more edits... or something!

Okay, back to work. I'm trying to draw a braided grass necklace in Photoshop. Not easy, but fun!

Photo: Staring down a cliff on Grand Manaan Island, NB.

3 comments:

Bernita said...

That photo is not near Swallowtail, is it?

Sandra Cormier said...

I'm not sure of the nearest village, but it's right at the very south end of the island. There's a very noisy lighthouse nearby. So quiet. I wish I could have spent more time there.

Sandra Cormier said...

How can a place be noisy and quiet at the same time? I meant there were no birds that day.