Saturday 5 May 2007

It's Derby Day!

If you read this blog, you know that I love horses. Horse racing is an emotional, exciting and phenomenal experience. I once had dreams of being a jockey.

I'm a big fan of Dick Francis, and I don't think I've missed a single ride with his characters. His style is spare yet delivered with a precise punch. I hope to write a horse related novel someday. Who knows, maybe it'll become a habit.

I once crawled through the grass to take pictures of a thundering finish during the Queen's Plate in the early 80's. I just kept the motor drive clicking as the horses rounded the final turn. It wasn't until the film was developed that I discovered I'd caught a seven-horse spill in excruciating detail.

This illustrates one of the downfalls to the sport of racing. Some criticise the sport, stating that it's cruel to the horses. But they love to run. look at their ears, their eyes. They love it. I say, let 'em do it. Just don't try to take the horse to the race, let him take you.

Now, to pick my winner. I like the name "Imawildandcrazyguy". Reminds me of Steve Martin in his SNL days. Also, he's a grey, just like Steve! He's 50-1, so it's a long shot for sure.

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I was pulling for Scat Daddy, but luckily I had no way to plunk down real cash. Otherwise, I would be several dollars poorer today.

Sandra Cormier said...

Thank goodness I didn't bet, either. But... Imawildandcrazyguy came from dead last to fourth, so maybe he has a future! I wonder if his silks are floral.