Friday 25 January 2008

Six Things

I know I did something similar before, but it was back when I first started blogging. Since Richard at Smart Like Streetcar tagged me, I figured it was time for a refresher course. I happened upon Richard's blog through Stephen Parrish, and since Richard settled in the Maritimes and takes wonderful photographs of his Nova Scotia surroundings, I like to visit again and again.

I won't tag anyone this time, but feel free to tell me your six random things about yourself if you wish.

First of all, many of Richard's six random things are similar to mine -- I'm beginning to wonder if we're related.

1. As I said in my profile, I have roots in Canada from waaaay back. My dad is a direct descendant of the first Cormier in Canada -- Robert Cormier who arrived as a carpenter from La Rochelle, France, landing in Fort St. Pierre in 1644. Dad's mother is an Hébert. Her descendants arrived in Acadia around the same time. She also has Basque roots, something I discovered while researching a novel I'm working on. No wonder I have a unibrow! Apparently, it's a Basque trait. Fortunately, the unibrow is under control, but I digress...

2. My grandfather on my mother's side was raised on a reservation in Nova Scotia. His mother was Mik'Maq. My brother and sister have Indian Status, but I don't because the paperwork is such a pain. Don't ask.

3. I have loved horses since I was about four. I started drawing them at about the same time. I'd never been around them except for what I saw on television and in books. Maybe I was reincarnated from a horse.

4. I read LOTR about ten times since I was a teenager. I often imagined I was a hobbit every time I walked through the woods across the street from my home. My kids gave me Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales for my birthday, and I have a big book of maps of Middle Earth.

5. Speaking of reincarnation -- when I was around six or seven years old I had recurring dreams of being a foot soldier in some war. I wore puttees around my legs and trudged at the end of a long line of soldiers, with smoke and gunfire all around me. I often woke to the sound of marching. I don't know where the heck it came from, unless it was possibly from a former life. Maybe I should start writing historicals?

6. This one is lame. I don't have a sweet tooth -- no attraction to chocolate or cake or ice cream. However, I can't resist salty and crunchy stuff like chips, peanuts and popcorn.

p.s. Is the star blue? It's supposed to be yellow but it's blue on my screen. Huh.

11 comments:

Polenth said...

The star is blue to me as well. Inquiring minds want to know if you have furry feet?

Sandra Cormier said...

Not at the moment; I shaved them last week - but I'm short!

BernardL said...

This one is lame. I don't have a sweet tooth -- no attraction to chocolate or cake or ice cream. However, I can't resist salty and crunchy stuff like chips, peanuts and popcorn.

Luck you. I have both vices, I have to avoid at all cost. :)

moonrat said...

i have learned a lot about Mi'kmaq because of this post (and an inspired wikipedia tour). thanks :)

Chris Eldin said...

What moonrat said....

I want to do a post on Mi'kmaq soon.

Interesting tidbits!!!
:-)

Sandra Cormier said...

Great. Maybe I'll learn something!

Kanani said...

Crunchy stuff! Yes, that's my downfall too!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

WHat no sweet tooth? What is the matter with you!!!! I especially like to eat the sweet with the salty and crunchy all mixed together. I'm weird that way.

The Anti-Wife said...

The star looks blue on my screen. I love chocolate, but also much prefer the salty snacks. Also always have to add extra salt to my food. Good thing my blood pressure is low.

Heidi the Hick said...

The unibrow. So hard to wrestle into control, isn't it?

Sandra Cormier said...

Damn straight. Right across the forehead.