Monday 25 August 2008

If I Could Be Like That


I'm watching the closing ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics. We won 18 medals, and local resident Eric Lamaze won individual gold and team silver in Show Jumping, a sport I had followed since I was a teenager. He shed a controversial past and more than one tear as he listened to the Canadian anthem during his medal ceremony.

As I watched the the joy in the faces of the winning athletes during the final montage, I wondered if I could achieve the same absolute feeling that all is right with the world.

Then I realize I already have.

I experienced it with the moment Father Paul announced my marriage to my husband twenty-four years ago today. As I kissed my new spouse, Father Paul touched his shoulder and murmured, "Down, Boy." I resisted the urge to laugh and kissed him all the more deeply.

I felt a similar bliss the moment my children were born. They were both absolutely beautiful, and they still are.

Every time I finish a painting, I sigh with satisfaction, knowing I did the best job I could.

I giggled with delight when I saw an actual ISBN number that validated the existence of my first book. I'm experiencing a similar warm and fuzzy feeling, seeing that my second novel Bad Ice is number 86 among 8000 romance releases on Fictionwise. I know - it's the only indication I have of sales. I don't know if the rating represents five or fifty sales, but I'll take it.

--Photo: Canada's Eric Lamaze rides Hickstead to a gold medal Thursday at the Beijing Games. (Susan Walsh/Associated Press)

9 comments:

The Anti-Wife said...

Happy Anniversary and congratulations.

writtenwyrdd said...

How sweet! If we can recall our special moments--the gifts of life--we are doubly blessed. It's hard to do that sometimes, though.

Bernita said...

Congratulations.
You have what it takes.

BernardL said...

Remembering wonderful times past fuels us in more austere times. 86th out of 8,000 releases seems pretty good to me.

Barbara Martin said...

Great memories, and now that Canada has a gold medal in show jumping perhaps the television stations in Canada will elect to show more coverage in future show jumping events.

As for your 86th out of 8,000 - CONGRATULATION! for a job well done. Now I have to go out and buy it.

Sandra Cormier said...

Please do, dear Barbara! Bernard gave it four thumbs up out of five!

It's in e-format at the moment, but should be in print very soon.

Doreen Orion said...

Mazel tov!

Sandra Cormier said...

Back atcha, Bubbala!

Liane Spicer said...

Happy anniversary! Those are some serious accomplishments.