Thursday, 19 February 2009
Thursday Thirteen: The Downside of Staycation
(Cross posted on The Writer's Vineyard)
I'm home from work this week because I forgot to book vacation time through 2008, and I have to use it up by the end of March. So here I sit 'cause I have nowhere to go. The rest of the family is busy with work and school. The cat and dog carry on as usual, napping the day away.
People say, "Great! You can get some rest, or you can do some writing, or catch up on those pesky tasks that have been ignored, etc."
Here are my reasons Staycation doesn't work for me:
1. Television Sucks in the Daytime. I have a gazillion digital channels plus HD. Do you think I can find a single television program I'd be interested in? I flip channels like a sniper and am inundated with reality shows, inane talk shows and courtroom dramas.
2. Too Many DVDs. The vast array of movies makes my brain turn to mush. I can't decide on one. I pluck a title from the rack, hit Play and five minutes later I'm bored so I yank it out and try another one.
3. The Internet. I surf endlessly and end up going full circle. How much useless information can I possibly absorb in one day - er, one week?
4. I Should Be Writing. But I'm not. My best writing time is after everyone has gone to bed. During the day, time slips by and suddenly it's time to pick up the boy from school. I have zero self-motivation.
5. Crappy Weather. I know I'm Canadian and a hockey fan and all that, but I am the first to admit that I really hate winter. If I was in California or Florida or Phoenix or Mexico, I'd at least get outside for sunshine and fresh air, but it's too damn cold, wet and slimy.
6. Guilt. I should be taking the dog for daily walks since I now have the time. See above for Crappy Weather.
7. Housework? I'm on Vacation! Who wants to catch up on six months of housework and laundry, or rearrange furniture when she is supposed to be having a fabulous vacation? I throw a couple of loads in the washer just to stave off the guilt.
8. Spending Time With Friends. What friends? They're all at work.
9. Home Improvement Shows remind me what a crap-hole my house really is.
10. Co-Workers. I try to hide, but they know where to find me.
11. Food. It's right there within arm's reach, taunting me. Calling to me. Screaming at me. 'Nuf said.
12. Drink. It's right there... well, you get the picture.
13. Time. It's all over too soon. Thank goodness my next staycation is in two more weeks!
Image: Brent Butt on Staycation courtesy of Corner Gas