Saturday 13 June 2009

Catching Up



Hi, Gang...

First of all, thanks for the many birthday greetings and good wishes. I know a few of you have passed the half century mark in the last couple of years and I don't know if you all experienced the same lack of impact. We approach these milestones with apprehension and anticipation, and it passes just like another day. We feel and look the same, except for that tiny part of ourselves that says, "Hey, you're fifty." I guess that's a good thing, right?

There was no big party (except for some kick-ass flamingos) but a bunch of us at work are turning 50 this year so we plan to go out for a super lunch or dinner just for fun. My dear husband hit his milestone in March, and he will go with his buddies for a little male bonding camp-out in August, so he's covered.

I went shopping with my birthday booty. My prize is a super cute little netbook from HP. It weighs only 2 pounds and I can surf, check email, write and read e-books on it. It fits in my little canvas purse and I still have room for my compact, lipstick and wallet.

I've been looking at e-readers, but I think this is a great alternative. It's more versatile, I can print from it and it has wireless internet. I can take notes and work on my manuscripts (note to self: work on your manuscripts).

My schedule changed at the newspaper and I now work some evenings. I've also been occupied with a major clean up and purge in our little bungalow. I'm happy to report that we now hear a distinct echo when we walk through some rooms. The lack of clutter is soooo refreshing. I highly recommend the hiring of a Dumpster.

All this recent activity impacted my blogging and cyber-visiting time, so don't feel neglected if I haven't dropped in for a while. I'm sure things will settle down soon and I'll get back into a new routine. I should also get back to writing. Those two half-finished MS's won't finish themselves!

7 comments:

Liane Spicer said...

Love the netbook! Glad to hear you've thrown the clutter out; it's a great feeling, isn't it?

What do I say to the 50s? Bring it!

BernardL said...

It all seems like good times and nice presents, Sandra. When I was a kid I never thought I'd live past fifty, and I'm nearly a decade beyond that. I figure it's borrowed time from here on out. :)

Sandra Cormier said...

Thanks Liane! Don't listen to Bernard, it's not downhill.

Quit scaring me, Bernard!

Amber Green said...

I'm looking at 49 in August. Not being fond of the "And how many years have you been 49?" comments, I plan to say I'm 50 when it comes up. I spent the entire year I was 39 saying I was 40 (having peculiarly enough believed it for the first several months) and that worked out very well.

Queen of the Road said...

I was just talking to a group of women "of a certain age" like us about de-clutterizing our lives. We wondered if it's a middle-age thing and concluded it just might be metaphorical and all that.

BernardL said...

No downhill except for a few extra aches - I meant it's like passing a barrier and the realization of another world... a comfortable one... with grandkids. :)

Sandra Cormier said...

Amber, one of my co-workers tells everyone she's 56 when she's just past 40. I'll bet that raises a few eyebrows.

Doreen, I've been meaning to de-clutter for at least ten years, so maybe it's a 40 thing!

Bernard, I knew you were just kidding, and that you of all people are enjoying life to the fullest. I'm definitely NOT ready for grandkids, though...

Although I love the fuzzy tops of babies' heads.